|Information about the Shrewsbury Castle and Shropshire Regimental Museum. (179kb)||The entrance gate to the Shrewsbury Castle, . (230kb)|| The Shrewsbury Castle great
hall, built during the reign of Edward I. (162kb)
| The motte of the orginal
motte and bailey Norman castle. (170kb)
|The tower on top of the motte. (173kb)||Debbie and the vorpal bunny, on the motte, looking at the great hall. (194kb)|
| Peter and the vorpal bunny in
front of the tower. (220kb)
|Peter and the vorpal bunny checking out the tower. (282kb)||The view of the Severn River from the motte. (173kb)|
| The view of the great hall
from the motte. (180kb)
|A neat half-timbered building in Shrewsbury. (339kb)||Another half-timbered building. (230kb)|
| Half-timbered buildings
abound in medieval Shrewsbury. (189kb)
|A really neat shop front. (262kb)||Many half-timbered building get larger as they go up. (174kb)|
|A pretty significant lean out over the street. (147kb)||A very nice building. (202kb)|| Lots of shops with
half-timbered upper storeys. (173kb)
After we toured Shrewsbury, we stopped to visit St Mary's Church in Shrewsbury.
|The roof of the nave of this church is well known. Carved in oak, each intersection of subsidiary beams contains arrangements of leaves, usually with a further boss of greenery at their centre. (273kb)||Information about the roof of St. Mary's. (258kb)|| Where the ridge beam meets
the main tranverse beams there are angels looking up and down the nave,
each carrying a medieval musical instrument. Where the tranverse
beams meet the walls, corbels are supported on larger angels, each
carrying a shield on which are symbols of the Passion. (425kb)
| Saint John - c. 1840.
Probably the work of David Evans of Shrewsbury. (161kb)
| A very detailed picture of
the Jesse Window, c 1340. Donated by Sir John de Charleton
between 1330 and 1353 to Greyfriar's Chapel, it was moved to St Chad's
after the dissolution, and then moved here in 1792 after Old St Chad's
collapsed in 1788, (1227kb)
|Another shot of the Jesse window. The window shows Jesse lying across three lights near the bottom. A vine rises from his loins and links sixteen kings and twenty-one prophets until it reaches Joseph and Mary. A 'family tree' of the Holy Family. (1060kb)|
| German stained glass made in
1479. It was originally in St Andrew's chapel in Trier Cathedral,
but was removed following a disastrous fire at the end of the 18th
It shows canons of the cathedral calling on St. Helena, St Mary, and Charlemagne, who though never canonized was treated as a saint in the region around Aachen. At the foot, to the left of the two lights is the date 1479. (685kb)
| This window, also German
glass made in 1479 is from Trier Cathedral. Although of the same
date as the one to the left, is a much more sophisticated style.
The donors, canons of the cathedral, call upon St Sebastian, holding the arrows of his martyrdom, St. Lambert, and St Jerome, shown removing a thorn from the foot of a lion. (795kb)
| German stained glass, also
made in 1470, from St. Stephen's Chapel in Trier Cathedral. It is
votive glass, showing canons of the cathedral calling on their patron
saints, St Stephen, St Agatha, and St Lambert.
In setting the glass in Shrewsbury, the donors have been separated from their saints who have been placed diagonally above them. Beneath the donors are two more saints, St Luke and St. Peter. (766kb)
| Dutch stained glass panels 1550-1600.
The four corner subject are "votive panels", the donors calling upon their patron saints. The centre top panel shows Our Lady of the Sorrows: the centre row shows Balaam meething the angel, the call of Amos, and an uncertain subject, possibly Hosea, while the centre bottom picture (c1600) is of Peter washing a disciple's feet.
In the tracery are three Netherlandish roundels: The virgin and child with St Anne (16th century), Adam and Eve (possibly German c 1550), and Justince (c 1540). (259kb)
| 15th century alabaster tomb
slab. It commemorates Sir Nicholas Stafford, who dies in 1471, and his
wife Katherine, who died in 1463.
Sir Nicholas was bailiff of Shrewsbury in 1458, and is depicted in Yorkist style armour. (269kb)
| St. Bernard glass, 1505-1525.
The three windows on the left contain fourteen panels which came from the cloisters of the Abbey of Altenberg, near Cologne. They were made the the Master of St Severin. There are four more in the centre window of the South Aisle. Of the original sixty-six panels, this is the largest collection.
They illustrate the life and work of the twelfth century abbot St. Bernard of Clairvaux, a founder of the austere Cistercian Order. Many of the pictures show more than one event at more one time in more than one place, - a sort of medieval strip cartoon, with speech shown in 'banderoles', ribbons of words. (238kb)
|Detailed information on the Jesse window. (144kb)||A close up of the lower half of the Jesse Window, c 1340. (494kb)|| Victorian replacements of
medieval floor tiles. (227kb)
| The vorpal bunny checks out a
cool effigy of ???? (203kb)
|Information panel on Shrewsbury Abbey. (217kb)|| The remains of the main part
of Shrewsbury Abbey. (194kb)
|The remains of the 14th century pulpit of Shrewsbury Abbey. (252kb)|
|The vorpal bunny hangs out on the information sign about the Battle of Shrewsbury. (236kb)||Information panel about St. Mary Magdelene's chapel. (91kb)||In 1406 a chapel was built to commemorate the Battle of Shrewsbury. Here prayers were said for the souls of the men slain in the battle. Estimates suggest that over 6,000 men were killed or wounded in battle. The last resting place of many of these men is thought to lie in a mass grave beneath or close to the chapel site. (90kb)|
|The Chapel was dedicated to St. Mary Magdelene as the battle took place on the eve of the saint's day. (98kb)|
|Return to the Easter 2005 index|||||Previous page
(Buildwas Abbey and
(Clun Castle, Stokesay Castle,
and Wigmore Castle)